The fence outside the Sheldonian Theatre is gloriously adorned with a series of carved stone heads; no-one knows who the stone portraits represent, but they are commonly called ‘The Emperors’. Completed in 1669, there were originally 14 heads; one was removed in the early 18th century to make way for the Clarendon building and the remaining 13 lasted until 1868. Their replacements were made of poor stone and only lasted until 1970. The latest set of heads were erected in 1972 – not nearly as old as they look!
Photograph: © Darrell Godliman